People appreciate linen clothes for many thousands of years. Made from the fibers of the flax plant linen is a natural fabric. It has many positive properties that make linen clothes popular among people on various ages, nationalities and social status. Linen fabric breathes well; it is stronger than cotton fabric, and more difficult to weave, which makes linen a pricier fabric to make into clothes and other household textile such as bed linen, linen tablecloths and linen towels. Linen dyes well with different colors and can be blended with other materials, which may impact the ways of care the piece of clothing will require. The way you’ll wash linen clothes will also depend on many factors.
Linen fabric is famous for being strong, absorbent and breathable and therefore it is popular choice to produce variety of items, e.g. linen bath towels, line bed sheets, linen clothing, bandages and upholstery. Linen upholstery really looks cool on different kinds of furniture, but it has to be taken proper care of to keep its looks. Clean your linen upholstery on a regular basis and have it looking great!
First of all – consult the attached care label to determine whether your linen upholstery should be dry cleaned or can be machine washed. If there is no label or you have doubts about them or about your own competence – do not hesitate and hire a professional linen upholstery cleaner. He or she will surely know what to do – either to clean the items dry or steam clean or wash by hand etc.
If you follow our advice and use linen tablecloths and linen napkins every day rather than saving them for special occasions, sure there is a need to wash them regulary. Although it is not a tough task, washing linen tablecloths and napkins properly requires using carefully selected detergents and following instructions that would not make any harm for the fabric.
Use following method to wash your linen tablecloths and linen napkins:
- Fill a sink or washtub with lukewarm water. Add gentle laundry soap to the water. Check the detergent’s label for the exact amount of soap to use. Add a dash of bleach to the water if your linen tablecloth or napkins are white. Agitate the water with your hands.
- Place your linen table linen into the washtub. Wash colored and white items separately. Do not try to wash wash too many items at onece.
- Wash your linens with your hands by gently rubbing and squeezing. Do this until the fabric is thoroughly clean.
- Drain the water from the washtub or sink. Remove the table linen aside and rinse all of the soap residue from the washtub.
- Fill the washtub or sink with water again and place the linens back.
- Agitate table linen items in the water to remove all of the soap. If the rinse water becomes soapy, drain the water and refill the sink with plain water, rinse items again. All the soap traces must be removed from the linen tablecloths and linen napkins.
- Hang carefully or lay the items flat to dry. They can also be dried in a dryer on low temperatures. Do not wring out the linens before drying.
Linen tablecloth and other table linen can be washed in the washing machine as well. Just be sure to use the gentle cycle and mild laundry soap. It is important to wash colored and white table linens separately.
Read also our article on how to iron table linen like a pro!
To most, the ideal linen closet is the one you can see everything at a glance and find exactly what you want in a moment. Making your closet orderly is easy – just as sorting, folding and stacking. Here I present some advices and steps how to achieve this in minutes. So, read this and head on to where you store your cotton or linen bed linen, towels, tablecloths and other home textile.
1. Obvious as it sounds – read the care labels when you prepare for washing linen bed linen for the first time. It’s surprising how few of us actually do this! Care labels always provide the specific instructions for caring for your linen bedlinen based on the weaving type, thread count, colors and other important specifics of the the fabric they are made from. Laundry instructions may appear to be the same as of other bed linen you have, but it takes only few seconds to make sure.