Let’s face it – planning a dinner is great, but preparing for it takes a lot of time and effort. The most terrifying and excruciating work that needs to be done before the dinner party is to iron your tablecloths and dozens of napkins. If you are having tough time ironing, maybe you are doing it wrong. When done properly, this work actually doesn’t require a lot of your energy and the results can be quite astonishing – neat lines, no mess at all, that’s how tablecloths should look.
Create a vintage-inspired table setting perfect for afternoon tea with beautiful natural linen textiles from beautiful LinenMe table linen collection. Offering everything you need to create a truly inspiring spread, from tablecloths and napkins, to decorative runners and placemats, LinenMe is the place to go for superior quality fabrics at pleasantly affordable prices.
Create an inviting table setting that exudes effortless style with luxury linen textiles in smart monochrome tones lovingly crafted in Lithuania and exclusively designed by brand creative Inga Lukauskiene, the sophisticated collection of 100% linen napkins, tablecloths and placemats offers exceptional quality at pleasantly affordable prices.
The perfect choice to dress any contemporary or traditional table, the refined collection is presented in a palette of crisp white hues paired with striking blacks and dusky greys.
Quality linen napkins are an essential part of a tasteful setting of the table, whether it’s a casual weekend breakfast with spouse, a festive dinner or some stylish party for friends. Sizes and designs of linen napkins have varied greatly over the years and today we have a huge assortment of linen table napkins available.
The function of table napkins is very simple – they are meant to wipe food and drink from the mouth, and they also can be used as a protection for clothing while eating. Napkins – and especially linen napkins as they are extremely absorbent – are also used as coasters when serving a drink, or serve as a dishtowel to soak up small spills of liquids at the table.
If you follow our advice and use linen tablecloths and linen napkins every day rather than saving them for special occasions, sure there is a need to wash them regulary. Although it is not a tough task, washing linen tablecloths and napkins properly requires using carefully selected detergents and following instructions that would not make any harm for the fabric.
Use following method to wash your linen tablecloths and linen napkins:
- Fill a sink or washtub with lukewarm water. Add gentle laundry soap to the water. Check the detergent’s label for the exact amount of soap to use. Add a dash of bleach to the water if your linen tablecloth or napkins are white. Agitate the water with your hands.
- Place your linen table linen into the washtub. Wash colored and white items separately. Do not try to wash wash too many items at onece.
- Wash your linens with your hands by gently rubbing and squeezing. Do this until the fabric is thoroughly clean.
- Drain the water from the washtub or sink. Remove the table linen aside and rinse all of the soap residue from the washtub.
- Fill the washtub or sink with water again and place the linens back.
- Agitate table linen items in the water to remove all of the soap. If the rinse water becomes soapy, drain the water and refill the sink with plain water, rinse items again. All the soap traces must be removed from the linen tablecloths and linen napkins.
- Hang carefully or lay the items flat to dry. They can also be dried in a dryer on low temperatures. Do not wring out the linens before drying.
Linen tablecloth and other table linen can be washed in the washing machine as well. Just be sure to use the gentle cycle and mild laundry soap. It is important to wash colored and white table linens separately.
Read also our article on how to iron table linen like a pro!
Why to write about linen napkins? For us they are a symbol of revival of true things and values. The world is dominated by cheap fast food chains, people do not have time to sit and enjoy meal. To oppose that true values are coming back. We want to reclaim real, slow dinner, the dining room table, real beautiful plates, real tableware, real cloth napkins and other real accessories. More and more people are returning to slow enjoyable mealtimes and also to stylish table linen and functional dining room decor! Moreover – growing numbers of people are looking for eco-friendly living solutions; paper towels and napkins go out of fashion while linen napkins come in.
Using linen napkins properly is part of the table manners everyone should know. It takes more than just dabbing at your mouth while eating spaghetti or some other messy food.
First of all, cloth napkins are used whenever the dinning occasion is more formal or when this kind of atmosphere is aimed to be created. Paper napkins are normally used during less formal meals.
Cloth napkins are still widely used and available in several sizes, each size tailored to a specific use (the simple rule is this – the more food is going to be served, the larger the napkin: beverage napkin is smaller than luncheon napkin which is smaller than dinner napkin).