If you follow our advice and use linen tablecloths and linen napkins every day rather than saving them for special occasions, sure there is a need to wash them regulary. Although it is not a tough task, washing linen tablecloths and napkins properly requires using carefully selected detergents and following instructions that would not make any harm for the fabric.
Use following method to wash your linen tablecloths and linen napkins:
- Fill a sink or washtub with lukewarm water. Add gentle laundry soap to the water. Check the detergent’s label for the exact amount of soap to use. Add a dash of bleach to the water if your linen tablecloth or napkins are white. Agitate the water with your hands.
- Place your linen table linen into the washtub. Wash colored and white items separately. Do not try to wash wash too many items at onece.
- Wash your linens with your hands by gently rubbing and squeezing. Do this until the fabric is thoroughly clean.
- Drain the water from the washtub or sink. Remove the table linen aside and rinse all of the soap residue from the washtub.
- Fill the washtub or sink with water again and place the linens back.
- Agitate table linen items in the water to remove all of the soap. If the rinse water becomes soapy, drain the water and refill the sink with plain water, rinse items again. All the soap traces must be removed from the linen tablecloths and linen napkins.
- Hang carefully or lay the items flat to dry. They can also be dried in a dryer on low temperatures. Do not wring out the linens before drying.
Linen tablecloth and other table linen can be washed in the washing machine as well. Just be sure to use the gentle cycle and mild laundry soap. It is important to wash colored and white table linens separately.
Read also our article on how to iron table linen like a pro!
Table linens add class and style to any mealtime. A backyard picnic, teatime on a terrace, weekend breakfast or formal dinner – all feel more special, more festive and elegant when clean and crisp cloth tablecloths, napkins, runners are used.
Choosing table linen is a serious undertaking as you certainly wouldn’t want some poor quality tablecloth or napkins that fall apart after the second wash. Table linen is an investment – you pay not only for a piece of cloth but for your mood, the atmosphere and this classy feeling you get when the setting for the mealtime is so elegant.