Working with the beauty and texture of natural fabrics like linen can be a great way to add interest and style to a tired interior. Using fabric as a starting point can help you pull together a room, and it needn’t break the bank. We’ve found seven low-cost, simple tricks to incorporate linen into contemporary, stylish homes and create something truly stunning.
Let’s face it – planning a dinner is great, but preparing for it takes a lot of time and effort. The most terrifying and excruciating work that needs to be done before the dinner party is to iron your tablecloths and dozens of napkins. If you are having tough time ironing, maybe you are doing it wrong. When done properly, this work actually doesn’t require a lot of your energy and the results can be quite astonishing – neat lines, no mess at all, that’s how tablecloths should look.
Quality linen napkins are an essential part of a tasteful setting of the table, whether it’s a casual weekend breakfast with spouse, a festive dinner or some stylish party for friends. Sizes and designs of linen napkins have varied greatly over the years and today we have a huge assortment of linen table napkins available.
The function of table napkins is very simple – they are meant to wipe food and drink from the mouth, and they also can be used as a protection for clothing while eating. Napkins – and especially linen napkins as they are extremely absorbent – are also used as coasters when serving a drink, or serve as a dishtowel to soak up small spills of liquids at the table.
If you follow our advice and use linen tablecloths and linen napkins every day rather than saving them for special occasions, sure there is a need to wash them regulary. Although it is not a tough task, washing linen tablecloths and napkins properly requires using carefully selected detergents and following instructions that would not make any harm for the fabric.
Use following method to wash your linen tablecloths and linen napkins:
- Fill a sink or washtub with lukewarm water. Add gentle laundry soap to the water. Check the detergent’s label for the exact amount of soap to use. Add a dash of bleach to the water if your linen tablecloth or napkins are white. Agitate the water with your hands.
- Place your linen table linen into the washtub. Wash colored and white items separately. Do not try to wash wash too many items at onece.
- Wash your linens with your hands by gently rubbing and squeezing. Do this until the fabric is thoroughly clean.
- Drain the water from the washtub or sink. Remove the table linen aside and rinse all of the soap residue from the washtub.
- Fill the washtub or sink with water again and place the linens back.
- Agitate table linen items in the water to remove all of the soap. If the rinse water becomes soapy, drain the water and refill the sink with plain water, rinse items again. All the soap traces must be removed from the linen tablecloths and linen napkins.
- Hang carefully or lay the items flat to dry. They can also be dried in a dryer on low temperatures. Do not wring out the linens before drying.
Linen tablecloth and other table linen can be washed in the washing machine as well. Just be sure to use the gentle cycle and mild laundry soap. It is important to wash colored and white table linens separately.
Read also our article on how to iron table linen like a pro!
It seems everyone decorates their surroundings during Christmas. We all want our house or yard or windows are decorated with Christmas lights, we all decorate Christmas trees and mantles and place lots of candles everywhere. But what about the dining room? Are your best table linens ready? Would you like to purchase something new? Or will you match your old favorite linen tablecloth with new linen napkins?
It’s crystal clear – if you want your Christmas dinner guests feel the holiday season mood immediately upon entering the dining room, you have to prepare your dinner table thoughtfully. And your table linen are there to help you. Decorating beautifully the table for Christmas dinner is a perfect way to make the day even more festive and memorable.
Why to write about linen napkins? For us they are a symbol of revival of true things and values. The world is dominated by cheap fast food chains, people do not have time to sit and enjoy meal. To oppose that true values are coming back. We want to reclaim real, slow dinner, the dining room table, real beautiful plates, real tableware, real cloth napkins and other real accessories. More and more people are returning to slow enjoyable mealtimes and also to stylish table linen and functional dining room decor! Moreover – growing numbers of people are looking for eco-friendly living solutions; paper towels and napkins go out of fashion while linen napkins come in.
1. Obvious as it sounds – read the care labels when you prepare for washing linen bed linen for the first time. It’s surprising how few of us actually do this! Care labels always provide the specific instructions for caring for your linen bedlinen based on the weaving type, thread count, colors and other important specifics of the the fabric they are made from. Laundry instructions may appear to be the same as of other bed linen you have, but it takes only few seconds to make sure.
Tables at our homes are the functional pieces of furniture that are used to eat meals, keep things etc. But apart from that they are elements of our interior design and bare tables not always look good. A beautiful good quality tablecloth is essential for a pretty looking table. And when we say “beautiful, good quality cloth tablecloths” we of course mean a linen tablecloth. Tablecloths are not only a piece of cloth to cover the top of the table but they also are an important detail of interior design. They create cozy and welcoming atmosphere in the room.
Using linen napkins properly is part of the table manners everyone should know. It takes more than just dabbing at your mouth while eating spaghetti or some other messy food.
First of all, cloth napkins are used whenever the dinning occasion is more formal or when this kind of atmosphere is aimed to be created. Paper napkins are normally used during less formal meals.
Cloth napkins are still widely used and available in several sizes, each size tailored to a specific use (the simple rule is this – the more food is going to be served, the larger the napkin: beverage napkin is smaller than luncheon napkin which is smaller than dinner napkin).